Coffee Experiment..Continues  

Posted by Emily in

I brewed coffee from the batch I roasted on Sunday both yesterday morning and this morning... not so good. The beans smell off, both burnt and with some tones I can't really identity other than "not right." The brewed coffee definitely smells burnt.

I've consulted with the experts at Coffee Geek; they have deemed this an uneven roast. I showed them the same photos of my roast that I posted the other day; I have some charred beans and it doesn't look like many of the beans reached first crack, which means those beans were "baked" rather than roasted. I need to learn how to identify first crack by sight as well as sound. With my next roast, I'm going to start out with 8oz of beans but at the same heat level, which should produce a faster roast and bring on first crack much sooner and allow me to get closer to second crack without baking.

I really need to get a 550 degree thermometer like this one from Cooper:

This is on top of my wish list (which is only in my head!)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at Tuesday, March 04, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment