Relish Me This  

Posted by Emily in , , ,

I started making this Jalapeño Pickle Relish the same day that I made the Pickled Garlic; I let the chopped veggies soak overnight in the fridge and finished the recipe the next day while DH was at work (he was complaining about the vinegar smell-which admittedly was pretty strong).

It turned out a bit too sweet and not spicy enough for me, but still pretty tasty. Next time I'll just add some more jalapeños and a bunch of garlic and it should be perfect. I got four bottles from this recipe, which should last me a few months!

I also slow-roasted some jalapeños on the stove to make some hot sauce. All you do is pour 1/2 cup of oil (I used olive oil) into a large frying pan and add your jalapeños. Turn on the heat to a pretty low setting- according to my neighbor (who gave me this recipe) the slower the roast, the better the taste. Cover them with a lid and let them roast for about an hour, shaking the pan every once in a while to turn the peppers. I lifted the lid to take a picture, but I don't recommend that- hot oil flying out at you is no fun!

Pull off the stems, puree the peppers in your blender until smooth (or semi-smooth)- and you have yourself some awesome hot sauce. You can see I added garlic to the pan while I was roasting the peppers- don't do that; they turned out hard as rocks. Just add the garlic to the blender. It's kind of sweet and very spicy- this one gives you a slow burn that tends to sneak up on you! It's delicious on the tamales my neighbor gives me once in a while.

This entry was posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 at Friday, March 21, 2008 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment