Earth Day  

Posted by Emily

Today being Earth Day, I thought I'd share some of my favorite ways of helping the environment:

1. I like to read digital issues of magazines instead of subscribing to the print issues.

Make Magazine has recently started releasing their publication through the internet. The cost for an online-only subscription is $26.95; a regular subscription is $34.95 (which also gives you online access). So not only am I reducing the amount of paper being wasted, I'm also saving myself a few dollars in the process: win-win!

This looks interesting- I just found this site, so I'll need to look into this some more before I give an opinion.

2. Another way of saving energy is to use a search engine like Blackle (powered by Google Custom Search), which reduces the amount of electricity being used by your computer simply by having a dark background. So far they report "576,468.401 Watt hours saved."

3. I always wash my clothes in cold water to save on heating. My clothes get just as clean this way and I'm not using as much electricity.

Those are just a few things I do- what about you?

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at Tuesday, April 22, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Anonymous  

Emily,

WTG on reading online magazine subscriptions! We do not subscribe to the daily newspaper because my husband reads it every morning online. I really don't understand why they offer a hard copy at such a high price, IMO, when it's totally free online and leaves no disgusting black ink trail on your fingers.

I have been making re-useable market bags for all my shopping needs. Not only are they way cute with my customized fabric choices, they will not tear like the bags given to you at the store, and they
can be used for many different things. I don't leave home without them.

My DD and I go to the library every week. Afterwards we go to the park for a picnic lunch packed in our nice re-useable containers and placed in one of my market bags. My DD has many new books which we purchased at the library. This helps to recycle those perfectly good but no longer wanted stories and saves us money. When I find a board book which is no longer in good shape I purchase it and customize it into a learning book for my DD to enjoy.

My electric food processor and electric can opener have not been taken out of their resting places in 7 years after purchasing a hand-cranked food chopper and hand-turned can opener. I actually enjoy using them. Clean up is a lot easier and uses less water.

Our next purchase, which will be this week, is to purchase a non-electric Country Living Mill which will grind wheat so I can make our bread. This will reduce the amount of plastic bags made to sell a loaf of bread, the amount of electricity used in producing commercial bread, and it will also be healthy as well as delicious. I have been making my own whole wheat bread for almost 2 months and my family enjoys it. Try making your own, it's easy, tastes better, and is rewarding in so many ways.

That's all for now. My DD wants some attention.

May 18, 2008 at 7:38 AM

Post a Comment