What Should Michelle Wear?  

Posted by Emily in , ,

WWD Fashion has an article contemplating what Michelle Obama and the girls should wear to the inauguration in January.  They had several fashion designers submit ideas and have a slideshow of 40 looks for Michelle and 11 looks for the girls.  I've been having a fun trying to figure out how some of Michelle's dresses would be made.  


Here's my favorite:

I'd really have to learn some draping techniques for that one!  Of course I couldn't find any patterns like this one, but I think this pattern has similar draping of the skirt on the view in the middle (in a "kinda sorta" kind of way):

As for the top: I have no idea.  I guess that's pretty much draped on a dressform and the ruffles would have to be drafted separately?  I could make a one-shouldered shell, but I don't have a dressform so the drapy part would be impossible for me.  I have lots to learn about pattern making before I even try something like that!

I like this dress too:


It looks like it would be easier to make than the first one too.  Hmm... start with something like this top:

Only instead of a V-neck collar you could do a boatneck and then go from there.  This underskirt would be easy enough to draft on your own.

Of course I say that from this side of fashion school :)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at Wednesday, December 10, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment