New Favorite Subject: Chemexstry  

Posted by Emily in , , , ,

The other day I was browsing Savers when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but this majestic masterpiece of fine craftmanship:

The price? $2.99! I love Savers. You should have heard me- I made this mix between a gasp and a low squeal of pleasure while I quickly grabbed it before anyone else could snatch it from me (um, yeah- there was no one near me but I couldn't be too careful!) I've been thinking about buying one of these after reading about it online quite a bit, but I hadn't quite committed myself to the purchase. I even pointed it out to my husband last week when we were getting some coffee in Scottsdale and told him he could buy me that for my birthday next month. This would have cost about $40 new, so good thing I spotted it at Savers!

After a thorough cleaning and carefully reading Chemex brewing instructions from Sweet Maria's, I commenced my first manual drip coffee making experience this morning. I ground the beans (Java Jampit Small Bean from Intatto Coffee, where I also obtained the filters) using my burr grinder set exactly in the middle, shooting for a medium grind. Here's a couple pictures of what the brew looks like:

I had my laptop open to the Sweet Maria's page for reference:

The resulting coffee was so smooth and tasty! Just like I've read on Coffeegeek, it was a very "clean" tasting cup of coffee, and the best part was no sediment like you get with a French Press. It took a longer to brew than it should have, so next time I'll adjust the grind a little coarser and see how that goes. I got about 12 minutes, and the sweet spot is between 5-8 minutes- even so, still a yummy cup of coffee. Of course a good part of that is because of the fresh roasted coffee from Intatto- if you're ever in the vicinity of Greenway and Tatum in Scottsdale, AZ, I highly recommend you stop there!

This entry was posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 at Saturday, March 15, 2008 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Anonymous  

Yay, another Chemex brewer in Phoenix! (actually, I'm in Mesa)I've been devoted to these products since the 70's, Unfortunately, I can't find filters anywhere locally. Do you have a source, or is it strictly the internet for us Chemex groupies?

Charlene catshoe@cox.net

July 31, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I'm also going to reply by email, but I'll post here too just in case anyone else wants to know...

I got my filters at Intatto Coffee at Greenway and Tatum Blvd. in Scottsdale. You can see them online at www.intattocoffee.com

That's my favorite coffee shop by the way- you should definitely check them out!

July 31, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Post a Comment